Thursday, July 21, 2011

"Game" and "German" both start with G.

I'm pretty excited to talk about video games. As a kid, I played quite a few video/computer games, and I feel like most of them helped me in one way or another. Because I feel like reminiscing, here's a short list of some of the games I played and what I feel like I learned from them.

- Anna Tommy was an action game that taught me about anatomy (get the name?), this was one of the first computer games I played, bought for my brother and I by our veterinarian father.



- Oregon Trail taught me about that part of history and also that you should never start trekking across the country with ammo as your only cargo.



- Mario Kart taught me some fine motor skills and that you have to brake before you turn so you don't crash.



- Sim City taught me what you need to make a city function well and that people don't like living by coal power plants.



- Pharaoh/Caesar were both like Sim City, but also included some information about ancient Egypt and Rome, like that you need to irrigate crops if you live in the desert, and that the Gods don't like it when you don't pay tribute to them.



- The Sims taught me some valuable life lessons like you need money (or cheat codes) if you want fancy things. It also made me an expert furniture arranger.



-Tetris taught me how to plan ahead, like you can't always count on one of those long pieces to come and bail you out.



Anyway, enough reminiscing. While reading the Gee article, 3 of the learning principles stood out to me:

The first one was #4: Risk taking - I think this is a great thing about video games. A lot of schools put a lot of pressure on kids to get the "right answer" all the time, which I think discourages some kids from taking chances because they're afraid to be wrong. The fact that you get a lot of do-overs in games encourages risk taking, and through risk taking, kids can come up with some pretty creative solutions. I'd like to encourage more risk-taking in my classroom. In learning a foreign language, I think kids get held up from participating (especially in speaking) because they're worried about getting the grammar 100% right. I think it's important to let kids know that a language classroom is a low-pressure environment, and that content is more important than grammar. This would hopefully encourage more participation, more risk-taking, and more creativity.

Risk taking, especially in the context of a language class is related to #16: Performance before competence. Again, in creating a low-pressure environment, students should know that it's important that they try to speak/write in the language they're learning, and that they can do so even if they aren't 100% familiar with grammar or vocab. It's important to get kids talking, and build competence (or in this case, fluency) along the way - rather than waiting to get kids talking until they feel 100% competent (which probably isn't likely to happen in a beginning German class). In my opinion, a student actually trying to say something in German is way more important than if they said it correctly.

The last principle that struck me was #10: Situated meanings. I think this is very relevant to foreign language classes, and this is a reason some games could be very useful in language classes. As Gee said, students learn words better when they can associate them with an experience or situation. No one learns to be fluent in German by simply studying a German-English dictionary. Fluency comes with experience and through interaction. This is where I think games that create virtual worlds are great for language learning. You can create experiences and interactions online, and use those to help students learn.

Lastly, I thought the video from Jane McGonigal was fascinating (although I was slightly disappointed her last named isn't spelled McGonagall...sorry - Harry Potter moment). I think gamers are a great human resource, like she said, but I guess my big question is "How do we use this information in the classroom...specifically a foreign language classroom?" However, I'm sure Jeff will enlighten us all tomorrow, and I am looking forward to that.

The end.

Oh, also, my power went out today and it is crazy hot. Boo.

6 comments:

  1. "my power went out today and it is crazy hot. Boo."

    ... hoo. So sorry! Sweltering! Anyway, I liked your game visuals to complement your commentary. Situated meanings resonate with me as well, and has the most relevance to world language learning. As you point out, we understand that language evolves through interaction, and the creation of experiences in the foreign language may enhance learning.

    ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blog Caroline. I loved the visuals and your sense of humor about the games. The Sims taught you how to be an excellent furniture arranger huh? Now that’s a game worth playing! Truth be told, I’ve never played any of these games (excepting a few rounds of Tetras which just looked and felt to me like glorified Pong) but your take on them makes me feel like I’ve been missing out. You tied it all in really nicely to Gee’s learning principles and foreign language learning too, especially I thought in terms of the risk taking elements you spoke about. In the classroom, getting young, ego fragile, minds to overcome the crushing embarrassment of sounding or looking dumb in front of their peers, is perhaps the greatest challenge of foreign language learning. It’s a huge risk socially for them, and unfortunately for a majority, in the long run just not worth the payoff. And this issue doesn’t end at adolescence, it continues right on into adult learning as well. Think of how many incredibly smart, motivated people you know who simply won’t take on learning a foreign language because of how “dumb” it makes them look and feel, and how having been such a great success in every other academic discipline renders them unable to deal with the humiliation and ego check of foreign language learning. It’s a shame of course but it is a very real issue that has to be dealt with very intelligently and creatively if we are going to get our students to achieve genuine learning in foreign language. Paralleling the risk-reward lessons of video gaming is perhaps one way of modeling the challenges and pay-offs in language learning lesson plans and as you touched on, using video/audio type technology will provide great means to integrating objectives and goals.

    PS The Feng shui in my study room is clearly out of sync, any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I love Mario Kart! If only life were like that game, and when we drove off the side of a cliff by accident, we just floated right back onto the road. :)

    I definitely agree with you about video games being a great opportunity for students to learn to take risks. Coming from someone who hates to make even simple decisions with no real consequences, risk-taking is a skill we all need to learn about and embrace. We can't be afraid to take a risk every now and then, both in the classroom and in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caroline, like Charles I appreciated the guided tour of some of your favorite video games, and it was interesting for me to see that, based on your actual experience, you saw some of the learning potential in these games that Gee tried to identify and articulate.
    I was especially happy to see you making some of the connections you made specifically to foreign language teaching, and the risk-taking and especially the performance before competence ideas resonate powerfully with my image of what gets in the way of students feeling more of a sense of competence in their language speaking and learning. I hope that you will bring some of this creative thinking into your teaching, and I will be eager to see what you learn from any such experimentation that you are able to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Caroline! Ohmigod, you made me remember Tetris and HOW MANY HOURS OF MY LIFE WERE WASTED ON THAT GAME! Or were they?! Wasted, that is. Maybe Gee and Magonical(???) would say not.

    I really appreciate your connections to world languages. I had a spanish linguistics teacher who once said that to really speak a foreign language well, you almost have to be an actor being this other person--the German or Spanish or whatever version of you. The more I study language the more I think it's true. Yet this is the hardest thing for kids because they feel so self-conscious about just letting go and giving in to it and are so afraid to make a mistake (you're going to make mistakes!) and fail. So I like how you have incorporated gaming strategies to teaching world languages!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed your tour as well. And, like you, I have to stop every time I type "McGonigal" because of Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete

Followers