Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Generation what?

What generation am I? The Klapperstuck/Kearns article made me question whether I am part of Generation M. If I had just read the first two pages, I would have been like "YEAH! GENERATION M! WOOOO!", but as I kept reading, I felt more and more like I don't want to be a part of Generation M if that's how older people view them. Maybe I'm mistaking their tone, but it really seemed to me that Klapperstuck and Kearns and all their friends they quote don't think too highly of Generation M. Yeah, all the ways we're connected is great, but it seems that Klapperstuck and Kearns don't think too much about what that connection does for us...but I take issue with some of their points. Here are issues I have with the article:

1. It seems that Klapperstuck and Kearns consider all of Generation M to be narcissistic, self-centered teens. Ok, so according to Wikipedia, I'm one year too old to be a part of Generation M, but I still feel a part of it, and I don't really consider myself to be a narcissistic, self-centered teen (but maybe that's just me being narcissistic). Maybe it's because this article was written in 2009, but Generation M is growing up, and I feel like our connectedness makes us less self-centered. Yes, there's the occasional jerk who posts youtube videos of himself flexing, and Facebook is filled with teenage girls making kissy faces and taking 1000 pictures of themselves in bathroom mirrors, but aren't there people like that in every age group? But for us older Gen M's, I feel like begin connected makes us think less about ourselves and more about others. I use Facebook primarily to see what my friends are doing, not to tell them every single move I make. I use Twitter to follow the news, not to follow celeb gossip. I feel like the technologies I use make me more concerned about the world around me, rather than making me more self-centered, as Klapperstuck and Kearns suggest (although they do give social activism a nod, which slightly redeemed them in my eyes)

2. Yes, as Klapperstuck and Kearns said approximately 700 times, Gen M has a different sense of the difference between "public" and "private". I would argue that yes, we have a different sense of it, not because we're sensory challenged, but because the line between what is public and what is private are actually changing...and I'm not convinced this is a bad thing. Do I want to know every time my 14-year-old cousin gets a strawberry smoothie or see pictures of my friend's dog in surgery? No. I could care less. But I do think that the blurring of private and public material forces us to be more honest. The more people share their private lives online, the more honest they have to be in public - just look at Anthony Weiner and his weiner pics and a hundred other celebrities and politicians who have had secrets revealed through social media. And now, I'm definitely more careful about my behavior in places where pictures might be taken that end up on Facebook. I think the interconnectedness causes us (or at least the smart ones of us) to be more cautious in all areas of our lives, public and private.

Those are just some of the issues I have with the article. I'm slightly disappointed - I had such high hopes for a reading from someone with such a German last name as Klapperstuck.

As for the other readings, I found the Seeking article to be very interesting. I liked that a lot of the information was from a UM psych professor (Go Blue!), and thought the concept of seeking/wanting in contrast to liking is interesting. I can definitely identify times where I have looked up information without actually caring what it was or remembering it after I look it up. I also thought it's interesting that Dopamine controls our sense of time. If seeking/wanting raises levels of Dopamine, which causes people to think they've spent less time seeking than they actually have, I understand why I can be on Wikipedia for hours when I only intended to look up one article.

Also, I think Lauren Fardig's lesson was really cool. I'm excited to talk to her.

5 comments:

  1. Your insights into the blurred vision of private and public is very interesting. It's not our generation's fault that we have this skewed image of what is public and what is private, but it is something we should be aware of. When I started applying to grad school I suddenly realized that there were things on my Facebook that some may have taken the wrong way, and I hurriedly sorted through pictures and messages from friends to delete (as a side note, I was actually surprised at how little I felt I had to get rid of). And with this new Twitter account, I'm only going to follow fellow educators because, like you, I couldn't care less about what someone just ordered at McDonald's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed the Yoffe article. I heard about it through a friend who was at a usability conference. There, the idea of hooking people into sticking with your web site was a POSITIVE instead of a worry. Hmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. " 'YEAH! GENERATION M! WOOOO!', but as I kept reading, I felt more and more like I don't want to be a part of Generation M if that's how older people view them."

    Generation "M".... Yes, I perhaps as a group, ego-centric, narcissistic. But what young generation is not?? Do generations not evolve over time into socially-conscious, mature populations? I hope so. In any case, I think Generation M is Magnificent!! What other generation is so adept at so many multiplicitous masterful muti-tasking musings at once?? You should be proud to be (almost) part of this generation... M. Marvelous. Alright, now I am in the borderlands of obnoxiousness. My apologies!

    Have a Happy August!

    ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you make a great point that technology is changing that public-private dichotomy in *general* and not just for one generation. I'm probably about 10 years older than you, Caroline, and there are totally people of my generation that overshare on FB, etc.! And think about, as you point out, the Anthony Weiners etc. of the world. Even my grandparents are FB, and my aunts and uncles! And they are members of the Greatest Generation or they are baby boomers (the, you know, politically active and enlightened generation) and they write about the same boring stuff as the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caroline, loved your fear and loathing exposé on the Gen M issue. At the end of the day it seems to me like this labeling business is all a bunch of nonsense anyway. It all starts to look and sound to me like crotchedy old man rants about the sad state of all things present. “It wasn’t like that in my time, we did things the old fashioned way, and WE LIKED IT!” By category protocols, I believe I missed out on being a boomer by four months, but my older brothers never left me forget it and take great joy in describing me (and my generation kind) like aliens from a far away future wasteland. “Your all a bunch of vapid-latte-sipping-black-thick-framed-glasses-and-boot-wearing-bohemian-art-poser,-intellectual-wannabees who actually know next to nothing but act like you’ve done and been through it all and the only real truth of your existence is that your all spoiled rotten and have yet to learn what it means to work a full frickin’ hard day in your life...” sort of thing. It’s all really sad business, these generation gap disconnects. And what does it really mean or prove in the end anyway? Time marches on, get on the train and get with it, or stay stuck reading your clue-train manifesto and sipping your rancid cup of black coffee from a battered tin cup.

    And I agree, that Dopamine stuff sounded fascinating…wonder where I can find some??

    ReplyDelete

Followers